Spirulina is one of the most amazing superfoods that has a whole host of nutrients and health benefits.
Spirulina is a natural cyanobacterium often referred to as blue-green algae. According to this report on spirulina by the University of Maryland Medical Center, it’s very rich in chlorophyll and a great source of antioxidants, B-vitamins, iron and many chelated minerals. Spirulina is also very high in protein and contains all essential amino acids making it a complete protein. The protein in spirulina is easily digestible. It is one of the most potent sources of nutrients around.
Some of the many health benefits include:
- It is approximately 62% protein and contains all essential amino acids.
- It has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The main antioxidant in spirulina is phycocyanin. This article by the National Center for Biotechnology Information explains that phycocyanin is a naturally occurring, brilliant blue pigment which stimulates blood production which strengthens the immune system and acts as an anti-inflammatory. It also protects against DNA damage and premature ageing.
- It contains the essential fatty acid gamma linoleic acid (GLA) which, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center, is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. In the body GLA produces prostaglandins which are hormone like substances that help regulate the immune system.
- It contains the enzyme superoxide dismutase (SOD). SOD is a natural antioxidant which removes excess superoxide free radicals responsible for cell oxidation leading to DNA damage and premature aging. This article published in the Journal of Applied Phycology analysed changes in expression of SOD in Spirulina when exposed to stress.
- Spirulina contains Omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids and is especially high in Omega 3’s. Today’s modern Western diet is considered too low in Omega 3’s. Omega 3 fatty acids are beneficial for health because they are responsible for making hormones that regulate blood, heart and genetic function. Studies also show they help prevent heart disease and stroke.
- Spirulina is very high in Chlorophyll which helps remove toxins from the blood and boost the immune system.
- Spirulina has a very high concentration of bio-available iron. It is a great natural iron supplement and may help with conditions such as anaemia.
- According to the Journal of Applied Phycology it contains vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, and vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin A and vitamin E. It is also a source of potassium, calcium, chromium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium and zinc.
As you can see spirulina contains a whole host of nutrients and health benefits that are valuable any time the immune system needs a boost. You can add spirulina to water or in a smoothie and drink it. ElevenLabs contains organic spirulina.